Blog

0

Mold grows in damp cold areas, like basements because spores thrive on moisture. If you have ever found mold on your walls, you want it to be removed as quickly and easily as possible. Live and dead mold spores can affect your family’s health. Not to mention the odors that will infiltrate the area. These can seep into other living areas of the home like bedrooms and kitchens and become problematic and nauseating to inhabitants and guests.

Avoid the health risks and the awful smell associated with mold. You can wash mold with some common household items and some spare minutes. Here’s how to wash mold away from you basement walls:

Things You’ll Need

  • Water
  • Soap
  • Bucket
  • Scrubbing brush
  • Bleach
  • Fan

Instructions

  1. Mix 2 tbsp. of dish soap into 1 gallon of warm water.
  2. Wet the entire moldy area in order to reduce the amount of spores you’ll release when cleaning.
  3. Use the scrub brush to clean off the mold.
  4. Empty the bucket.
  5. Mix 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and spread over the moldy area. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
  6. Rinse the solution off with clean, warm water.
  7. Use a fan to dry the area.

Follow these steps for a mold free basement. You will enjoy a safer odorless home in no time!

0

Mold spores, invisible to the naked eye, can be found everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Spores make their way into the home either through the air or after attaching to objects or people. Open windows, doorways and ventilation systems are all gateways through which spores can enter. Clothing, shoes and pets can all facilitate the arrival of mold within the home.

Mold will only grow if spores land somewhere that has the ideal conditions for growing – places with excessive moisture and a supply of suitable nutrients. If this does not happen, molds do not normally cause any problem at all.

Mold can often be found in areas where leakages and flooding have occurred and near windows where condensation builds up. Wet cellulose materials are most supportive of mold growth, including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles and wood products. Wallpaper, insulation materials and upholstery are other typical launchpads for mold growth.

Mold growth is usually noticeable – it is usually visible and often produces a musty odor.

In North America, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that “if mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem.”

We wonder- does the EPA recommend dealing with mold swiftly because of the damage it can do to property? Or because of the damage it could do to health?  Either way, it is a good idea to fix it quickly!

0

“Toxic Home Syndrome is where a person’s health deteriorates because of the air in their home – increasing the risk of cancer and heart disease”  according to this very interesting and informative piece in The Daily Mail

This piece was written in the UK, but the very same risks exist here at home in The United States.  Apparently 15.3 million homes are at risk of toxic home syndrome in the UK, with a much smaller population than the US.  One can extrapolate that the numbers are much higher stateside.  These are some scary statistics for sure.

It seems that the mundane, daily things we do in our homes are putting us all in harms way. From cooking to cleaning, there are risks involved and it is important to understand them and know ways to limit their impact on you and your family.

Most important is to have proper ventilation in your house. Most people don’t think too much about this and they often ignore the need to have clean air circulating throughout their homes. This can be worse in winter months when windows are closed and the homes are insulated and sealed to protect against the cold.

The infographics in this article are very helpful in providing a visual representation of what is actually taking place.  The more you know, the more you can do.  Avoid toxic home syndrome and read up!